Workers Compensation: Your Safety Net

About Me

Workers Compensation: Your Safety Net

You put your heart and soul into your job, so it seems only fair that you should be protected from harm while you’re there. Most good employers do go out of their way to provide safety training and equipment to keep their workers safe and protected from any hazards. Federal agencies, like the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, also have standards in place for employers to follow to keep their workers safe. However, sometimes accidents happen anyway, and when they do, workers compensation is meant to be your safety net. Most of the time, if you follow your company’s procedures for filing a workers compensation claim, you’ll be paid with no trouble. However, I know from experience that it isn’t always that easy. I started this blog to help you learn what to do when your company or their insurance company denies your workers compensation claim.

Latest Posts

Navigating Divorce: How a Divorce Attorney Can Provide Valuable Advice
27 June 2024

Divorce is never an easy process, both emotionally

Navigating Real Estate Transactions with Expert Legal Guidance
3 May 2024

In the intricate world of real estate, whether you

Exploring the Many Cases Handled by Family Lawyers
14 March 2024

Family lawyers play a crucial role in helping indi

Fighting for Your Rights: The Role of a Domestic Violence Defense Attorney
29 January 2024

Domestic violence is a serious issue that can affe

What to Do When You've Been Bitten by a Dog
27 December 2023

Encountering a dog can be a terrifying experience.

Your Child's Rights To Special Education: How Some School Districts Fail And Special Education Attorneys Can Help

There are laws which stipulate that a child with special needs has the right to a fair and equal education at the nearest neighborhood school. Some school districts fail to provide and follow this law. If you are a parent of a special needs child, you need to become more familiar with what the law provides, and pursue and advocate for your child's rights and needs. Sometimes that means hiring a special education attorney to uphold the law.

What the Law Provides

As your child enters school, he or she is entitled to:

  • A fair and equal education with that of his or her peers
  • Inclusion into the regular classroom as much as possible
  • Special Education supports in all areas of development
  • The ability to attend the neighborhood school closest to home
  • Free busing and transportation as needed, depending on the child's physical abilities
  • An education free from abuse and/or neglect, including assistance with toileting and self-care needs
  • An Individualized Education Plan, or IEP, which details what your child's challenges are and how the school expects to meet them

If your child's intended school or the school system fails in any way to provide all of the above, you have a legal right to sue.

Choosing to Sue the School System

This is not an easy or inexpensive choice, since the school district is supported by your home state and will have its own lawyers to defend it. Additionally, if the school is willing to provide all of the above at no expense to you and your family, but at a different neighborhood school than the one you expected, the school system can argue that you are refusing to care for your child's education. However, when your special education attorney proves that the school district is inadequately equipped to provide for special needs children, you will have a case to pursue.

What You Can Hope to Gain or Want to Gain

Since the object of your lawsuit is the education of your child at the nearest school in the district, you cannot sue for money. The only time that money comes into play is when your child has clearly been abused or neglected, and then school districts may attempt to settle out of court. If you head into a lawsuit with your school district, be sure to have clearly defined goals for what you hope and want to gain for your child, and that is what your lawyer will pursue.

For more information, contact the Law Office of Mark W Voigt or a similar firm.