Workers Compensation: Your Safety Net

About Me

Workers Compensation: Your Safety Net

You put your heart and soul into your job, so it seems only fair that you should be protected from harm while you’re there. Most good employers do go out of their way to provide safety training and equipment to keep their workers safe and protected from any hazards. Federal agencies, like the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, also have standards in place for employers to follow to keep their workers safe. However, sometimes accidents happen anyway, and when they do, workers compensation is meant to be your safety net. Most of the time, if you follow your company’s procedures for filing a workers compensation claim, you’ll be paid with no trouble. However, I know from experience that it isn’t always that easy. I started this blog to help you learn what to do when your company or their insurance company denies your workers compensation claim.

Latest Posts

How To Use The Law To Protect Your Assets
16 September 2022

If you've invested a lot of time in building your

Why Is It Crucial To Have An Estate Administration Attorney?
22 August 2022

When somebody dies, their loved ones are often lef

What You Need To Know About Regaining The Right To Possess A Firearm After A Domestic Violence Charge
21 July 2022

There are several consequences of being convicted

Injured in an Auto Accident? 3 Mistakes That Could Hurt Your Personal Injury Case
23 June 2022

Suppose you sustain injuries in a car accident due

4 Ways A Family Law Attorney Can Be Of Help To You After A Marriage Dissolution
25 May 2022

The divorce process is undoubtedly one of the most

Five Tips For Newlyweds On Name Changes

Getting married is a whirlwind of activity. However, the work doesn't stop after the ceremony is over and the guests go home. You still have to take the appropriate steps to change your name so you can be known by your new name. The following five tips will help take the guesswork out of the name change process so you can move on with your newly married life.

1. Contact the Local Courthouse

You should contact the courthouse in the locale where you were married, as well as the courthouse where you live. Submit a copy of your valid, signed marriage license, and the county clerk will file this document and update records accordingly.

2. Contact the Social Security Administration

This is one of the most important agencies to contact after you are married. You will need to fill out the paperwork and provide the appropriate supporting documents to receive a corrected Social Security card. This process cannot be handled online, however, you can obtain the application and list of required documents on the Social Security Administration's website.

3. Contact the Bureau of Motor Vehicles

You should also obtain a new driver's license or state identification card from the local Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Check our your state's website to determine what the required documents are; generally, your current driver's license and an official copy of your marriage certificate will suffice.

4. Contact Your Employer

Once you return to work, you should let your employer's Human Resource Department know that you were married so they can update in-house records and tax forms with your new name and number of dependents. 

5. Contact Other Interested Parties

Obviously, you will want to contact all of your friends and family to let them know your name changed if they weren't at the wedding. You should also contact creditors, hospitals and doctor's offices, mortgage or rental companies and anyone else that you have a business relationship with, to let them know of your name change. Your auto, home, life and health insurance providers should be notified. You may also wish to change your name on magazine subscriptions, websites you use and any memberships you have with libraries, gyms and other organizations.

If you have any questions or think you may be missing something, you should contact your family law attorney right away. Your attorney is the best source of information on all family law topics, to include marriage, separation, divorce and name changes subsequent to these actions. To learn more, contact a law firm like Watson Law Firm.